Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 (Rev 1.0): Code 8B POST error

New PC Hardware? Computer Trouble? Tell us all here..
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
STEAM: icetbag
ORIGIN: IceTBag
UPLAY: IceT-Bag

Hi chaps.

PC has been working fine for ages now, but last night when I went to boot it up for some DayZ fun it wouldnt boot :(

Thankfully, the mobo has a LED display on it to highlight the problem and the display is showing 88, but 88 isnt an error code in the manual, so it must mean 8b:
Manual - 8b wrote: 1. Invoke all ISA adapter ROMs
2. Invoke all PCI ROMs (except VGA)
I've pulled everything out just leaving the PSU, Mobo and CPU and still get the same code. I've read several forums and its either (a) PSU fault, (b) dead CPU or (c) dead mobo.

I have a spare PSU so I'll swap it out and see if that cures it. Will keep you informed so you dont miss my sexy bagging skills online.

The best defence against software piracy is producing a game worth buying.
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Swapped my spare OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU in and its working again :D

Disappointing thing is that the PSU that was in, which I'll now deem to be faulty, is the new OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU I bought when troubleshooting my brothers PC problem (ended up sticking a Corsair 650W TX Series PSU in that one).

In other news my extra 6GB ram turned up so I now have 12GB, which I'll use to create a RAMDRIVE for Arma 2 Dayz :)
Sky
MW2 Traitor!

If you've cooked a branded PSU you should look at getting a bigger one, or checking the airflow through your case
I've heard Hanzy talk!
Some people are like Slinkies. They’re not really good for anything; but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Hi Sky,

I would say the airflow through the box is fine as I've never had temp warnings from mobo, cpu, gpu or ram. The box has 2 large system fans front and rear, the cabling is out of the way, the gpu has vapor-x cooling technology which is very effective...plus the PSU has a fan of its own. If its died from heat stroke its nots very promising for OCZ and their PSU range.

I think I've just been unlucky. Having done plenty of reading about the OCZ/Corsair PSUs - it would seem that whilst OCZ are regarded as being good, the components within their PSUs range from great to mediocre. Saying that, Im typing now on my PC using an older but identical OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU!

I'm tempted to get another Corsair 650W TX Series PSU as I've read very good things about them...especially as I'll be upgrading from 6GB (3x2gb) ram modules to 12gb (6x2gb).

I thought a 600W PSU should be enough for the following spec:

:: Intel i7 930 CPU
:: Gigabyte X58A-UD5 Mobo (Rev 1.0)
:: 3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24 (TR3X6G1600C8D)
:: 1GB PCIe Sapphire HD 5850 Vapor-X
:: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA II Drive
Sky
MW2 Traitor!

if one of the 2 system fans is sucking air out the other components may be fine but the PSU could be getting starved of fresh air as the system fan is stealing it. if you have two 120mm fans sucking but only one blowing you have negative effect, especially if both face the cpu. if both system fans blow (even from the rear) you get a much better effect, even a slight drop in temp with some cases.
I've heard Hanzy talk!
Some people are like Slinkies. They’re not really good for anything; but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!
IceT-Bag
[22ndSAS] Server Admin
[22ndSAS] Server Admin

Currently the front fan sucks air into the case, blowing it over the components, the rear fan blows it out the back of the case.

Pic below showing the case, front fan is bottom right, rear fan is next to CPU below PSU

Could this be the problem?
Sky
MW2 Traitor!

The front fan is good :lol: but the rear fan is extracting air before it gets to the PSU :x reducing the airflow through available to the psu.
Easy test is to turn the rear fan round so it blows in then see if temps go up, down or stay the same.
Best configuration is to have front and side mounted fans blowing in and only PSU fan sucking out, you should then have air flowing naturally out of the other vents.
I've heard Hanzy talk!