All in on a new build...

New PC Hardware? Computer Trouble? Tell us all here..
Mr. Plow
Back in 13 yrs
Back in 13 yrs
STEAM: [22ndSAS] Mr. Plow
ORIGIN: MrPlowy

Found out that my MoBo has both Marvell & Intel Z68 SATA 6gb connecters and that I have the SSD plugged in to the Marvell connector. Will try and switch to the Intel when I get home... (I think Corsair actually have stated that the Force SSD doesn't work well with the Marvell controllers).

EDIT: Success! swiched connector and it spins like a kitten. Thanks for the help so far Umbongo, it's much appreciated! Next stop: water cooling (oh dear). I must say that I'm not looking forward to pulling the 6990 apart!

umbongo(uk)
YoRkShIrE StRiPpEr
YoRkShIrE StRiPpEr
STEAM: konradski
ORIGIN: umbongo21

what u using for water

EK Water Blocks EK-FC6990 or XSPC Full Cover Razor 6990 list goes on an on an on

cos by the looks of these and others similar it,ll be a cinch to stick on

just dont forget to do a primer run to get the liquid flowing round first ..then switch the beast on and do a quick furrmark run, to heat em up

furmark to test how hot they go. do one before the cooling application then one after to see if they are indeed cooler .as you know theyll be quieter
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

when you run furmark just do a BENCHMARK no presetTEST (will run for 60seconds) NOT A BURN IN TEST (infinate time )see site for what a burn in test is to learn more
( for oc stability)
no game will ever stress the card to the level of furmark runs it but it willl help seat the tim to the heatsink and gpu,s

also its a large furry donut
Mr. Plow
Back in 13 yrs
Back in 13 yrs

I've ordered the EK water blocks and they didn't come cheap; around 100 quid a piece!. Didn't really have a lot to choose from seeing that there's only 2 domestic online store to choose from. Anyways the look cool and EK has a pretty good renomme. Thanks for the advice on the furrmark stuff. Have been chewing threw quite a few internet pages on water cooling but there's sure to be some bumps setting it up....

The rest of the WC setup (some words in danish too lazy to translate):

2 x EK - FC6990 - Acetal+Nickel
1 x XSPC X2O 750 Dual Bay Reservoir Pump Rev.2
6 x Bitspower HF - Push On - G¼ - 13/19mm - Matt Black
3 x XSPC High Flex - 19/12,7mm - ½" (12mm)
1 x HW-Labs Black Ice - GTX 360 - Black
1 x TFC SLI VID Connector - G1/4 - 1/2/3 Slot
2 x Feser One Cooling Fluid - 1L - Ultra Pure Water
1 x Antikorrosions- og algevæske - 50 ml
1 x Arctic Silver Céramique - STOR 22g
1 x ArctiClean - 60ml Kit (2x30ml)
2 x Bitspower - Blændprop - ¼" BSPP (G¼) - Matt Black
3 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon High RPM 120mm - 4250 rpm

Mr. Plow
Back in 13 yrs
Back in 13 yrs

Got the parts now. Building up patience to put it together. Problem is though that I'm half way through RAGE and really wanna finnish the game before I wreck my computer :D

umbongo(uk)
YoRkShIrE StRiPpEr
YoRkShIrE StRiPpEr
STEAM: konradski
ORIGIN: umbongo21

not like it gonna run off now is it
Mr. Plow
Back in 13 yrs
Back in 13 yrs

well... no... but. Ok installed the 1st water block on the 6990

Porky
The Dentist
The Dentist
STEAM: Porky_69

dont ask why he hasnt installed the second lads....he may flip :D :p
Mr. Plow
Back in 13 yrs
Back in 13 yrs

Flip flip - fab fab. Got the wrong screws and stuff for the second waterblock. Waiting for new ones (bloody typical).

Porky
The Dentist
The Dentist
STEAM: Porky_69

somewhere a shop assistant is

@ u :p

Mr. Plow
Back in 13 yrs
Back in 13 yrs

So everything is slapped together! Water running and 3 displays hooked up. Getting temps around 40-50 degrees on the two 6990 which ain't so bad IMO. Almost destroyed the radiator by throwing my thumb into when doing the tubeing :D Apart from that and some fan issues (4250 rpm gentle typhoon WAS overkill anyways :) ) the build went smoothly.

I can play 'NFS The Run' and 'Dirt 3' with 3 displays going everything on 'ULTRA' wich is pretty sweet but BF3 is acting up on 3 displays (very poor framerates and stuttering). This is odd since DICE made it a selling point that 3 displays was supported...

Overclocking at AMT but not getting good results. This is prolly due to my limited knowledge on the subject :p I will post pictures when I get around to shooting them... Thanks again to everyone that pitched in on the thread! (and no Porky - spam doesn't count towards help)